Saturday, January 24, 2009

Conference Begins!

We just arrived at the Qatar Academy, our conference host, after a great morning of sight-seeing. (I will post more pics and video about that later).

I didn't realize this, but the Qatar Academy is IN Education City. Everything in Doha is apparently under construction (I will blog about that later as well) and it is amazing how new and shiny everything is around here.

The Qatar Academy is a truly beautiful school. Here are some pics:


I also got to have lunch with 2 students from a school in Ethiopia. Neither of them is Ethiopian, though. One student is from South Africa, the other from Kenya. I asked Edgar (the Kenyan) if he ever heard of the VIST school because our 5th grade just finished their blog (www.textbooks2kenya.blogspot.com) about our used textbook sharing project with VIST. He has not heard of the VIST school, but we had a great conversation about Facebook and privacy in the Web 2.0 world.

I asked these two African students why they were here and this is what they had to say:






They are from the capital of Ethiopia.
Here's a trivia question for the SSPJ students- can anyone tell me what the capital of Ethiopia is?

3 comments:

  1. The capital of Ethiopia is Addis Ababa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Cathy! You nailed it. I also think it is one of the most fun capitals to say out loud. Try it and tell me I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete